Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Swiss Mug Shot


Hello!  Just wanted to check in—things have been going really well!! (despite the above photo—to be explained) School has picked up a lot in the last week and will continue to do so in the next few weeks.  Papers, exams, projects, presentations, weekend seminars galore!  I’m becoming much more comfortable being here and just doing everyday things—getting into the groove!

One thing I love about Swiss culture:
·      Somehow, I always end up being able to communicate with people even if we don’t speak the same language.  Somehow, I have gotten a grocery store card, spoken with my mail-lady about my mail, ordered food, and communicated with neighbors without having the person I was speaking to understand English—the other day I was paying for a panini at a Portuguese café, and the man was speaking to me in Portuguese and I responded in French (and by French I mean saying "oui" (yes) - I may have thrown in a couple of Portuguese words to make him laugh—which he did)

One thing I do not like about Swiss culture:
·      They don’t allow you to smile at all in pictures for official use.  The other day I went to apply for my Swiss permit after finally receiving my student visa from the US (which means I’ll officially be a resident in a month!).  I rolled out of bed and went to the building to apply, 2 passport-sized photos in hand.  When I arrived, they said that my photos wouldn’t be acceptable because I was smiling.  So off to the photobooth I went to take my mug shot.

Voila!

6 comments:

  1. When I get my hands on it -- to the blog it goes!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. je crois c'est super chouette et tres sexy !

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's a beautiful mug shot, I must say. And congratulations on the communication and doing all of that work for school! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gulden said she didn't recognize you in the photos. This is the first time we've ever seen you not smiling!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Maybe you can get the photos printed on a big white coffee mug! Charming. I can see a smile behind the glint in your eyes.

    ReplyDelete